To get cleared by the Credit Reference Bureau commonly known as CRB, one needs to be aware of the processes involved. There are several bodies that offer CRB services in Kenya among them TransUnion, Metropol Credit Info, among others. To get started with CRB clearance you need to choose one service provider among the above mentioned.
It is worth noting that any certificate you receive from the above bodies is genuine and valid for 1 year from the date you applied. In this article you will be taken through CRB clearance process by the major two service providers, Trans Union and Metropol. The process is simple and you only need your phone to do it.
What you need to know before starting the clearance process
- You need to pay the registration fee first
- You may be required to download a mobile App
- Generate a credit report and evaluate it
- If the report is positive(0 non performing accounts) go ahead and pay the CRB clearance fee of 2200 if you need the certificate. However if your report is negative it means you have been listed (one or more non performing account) follow up with your money lender to clear the loan and get your account updated.
- Get your accounts updated
- It is not a must you get the CRB clearance certificate if your accounts are Up to date. However if you are in need of the certificate you can apply for it.
CRB Clearance With TransUnion
How To Register with Trans Union
To register with Trans Union you need to have an active Safaricom line registered under your name
- Go to M-Pesa menu
- Lipa Na M-Pesa
- Pay Bill
- Enter business number: 212121
- Account Number: Your ID No.
- Amount: Ksh.50
You will receive a confirmation message. You will also be asked to download the Trans Union Nipashe App to continue or use a short code. For clarity and to get a full comprehensive report, it is recommended you download the App
How To Generate a Credit report with Trans Union Nipashe App
Now that you have paid the registration fee and downloaded the TransUnion Nipashe App, you are ready to generate your own report.
- Open the TransUnion Nipashe App
- Enter your name as it appears on your national ID,
- Enter your ID
- Enter your phone number
- Accept the terms and conditions
- Press “Next”
- On the TransUnion Nipashe Welcome page that will appear, press “Activate”
- An activation code will be send to your phone through SMS.
- Enter the activation code you will receive and press “Verify”
- Locate a column written “CREDIT REPORT” and press It
- Enter your Email and send.
- A credit report will be send directly to your Email.
- In your Email inbox download and open the report with your ID as your password
How To Interpret The TransUnion Report
Now that you have your report, it may appear complex to interpret yet it is so much simple. The report will contain your details including all phone numbers registered under your name. You will also have a summary of your transactions on the front pages and the history of your transactions from all money lenders you have transacted with. Of great importance is the summary page with a raw written Non-Performing Accounts and Open Accounts.
- Non Performing accounts– Shows the number of accounts listed by CRB that you have defaulted for a period of 90 days and above from the loan repayment date. These are both bank and Non Bank loans that are in “black List” and are yet to be settled.
- Open NPA(Open Non Performing accounts)– Shows the number of active loans you have that are nearing listing date
- Open accounts: Shows the number of active loans recently borrowed but not yet defaulted.
- Performing accounts With default History– Shows the number of both bank and non bank loans you borrowed, defaulted and later paid after the loan servicing period.
Below the summary you will see the different accounts in each section in details. They will also contain the total values in details.
NOTE: You will only qualify for CRB clearance certificate if the Non performing account raw reads zero(0) in both Bank and Non Bank Sections.
By any chance should your report have any Non performing account, plan on repaying the loan, Request for batch numbers from your money lender then get your accounts updated.
How To Apply for CRB Certificate of Clearance
Now that you have your report and you don’t have any non performing account, it’s time to generate your certificate. The first thing is to pay the 2200 application fee for the Clearance certificate
Certificate Payment procedure
- Go to M-Pesa on your Safaricom line
- Lipa na M-Pesa
- Pay Bill: 212121
- Account Number:Your ID Number
- Enter Amount: 2200
- Enter your M-Pesa pin
After you have received the M-Pesa confirmation SMS. Open your TransUnion Nipashe APP
- Log in to your TransUnion Nipashe App
- Enter your details
- Accept terms and conditions and press next
- Enter the activation code
- Locate the column written “Clearance Certificate”
- Enter your Email
A CRB Clearance Certificate will be send immediately to the entered Email. Use your ID as the password to open and print it.
- How to apply for HELB Compliance Certificate
- Police Clearance Certificate Application
- How to Apply For TSC Number in Kenya
- NTSA Digital Driving Licence: How to Apply for Smart Driving License in Kenya
- Guide to Filing KRA ITAX Returns
CRB Clearance With Metropol
Just like TransUnion, Metropol report is quite similar with the TransUnion one. You should therefore have no challenges interpreting it.
How to Register with Metropol
- To register with Metropol, Dial *433# on your mobile phone
- Choose Credit report option
- Follow the prompt and a PIN will be generated for you
- After registration dial *433# again and follow the prompt
You can as well first pay the registration fee before dialing *433# to make it easier. To register with Metropol;
- Go to lipa na M-Pesa
- PayBill: 186644
- Account Number: ID Number
Once you have registered and requested for the credit report, a reference number will be send to you.
- Log in to the Metropol website and choose Credit Report
- Enter your phone number
- Enter the reference number you received via text them click log in
- A link to download your report will appear.
- Click on it to download the report
The interpretation of the Metropol report is similar to TransUnion report. If your report is positive follow the similar procedure by beginning with *433#. This time round Choose Clearance Certificate instead of a Credit Report. Follow the prompt and you will be redirected to your M-Pesa Menu to pay for your certificate fee. Enter your M-Pesa PIN number then you will receive a reference number via SMS. Log into the Metropol website to download your certificate.