Last Updated on
The new generation driving license was rolled out by NTSA in 2018 and one can easily apply for a new Smart Driving License also known as Digital Driving License through the NTSA TIMS Account. The license captures important information among them your driving history, personal details, blood group and bio-metrics. An application fee of Ksh.3050 is charged and payment is made through Paybill No 206206. The account number is automatically generated by the system to help you complete the transaction.
About TIMS Account
This is a very important account as it helps you carry out services such as, Motor vehicle search, Log book transfer, Booking inspection among other services. You will also need these account to renew your Smart driving license.A smart Driving license expires after every 3 years.
Before you get to this process you must first create a TIMS Account with NTSA.
TIM’S Account Creation Requirements
For one to create a TIMS account, the following details are required.
- Original National ID card
- KRA PIN
- Your Mother’s Maiden Name
- Active Phone Number
Once you have these details available, log in to the NTSA portal and choose TIMS
- Enter your ID’s Serial Number
- Your Mothers Maiden name (First Name)
- Your KRA pin
- Phone Number
- Accept to receive NTSA notification by answering YES to the subscription request
- Verify your phone number by entering the code provided
- Fill in other personal details appropriately.
- You will receive a password to log in to your TIMS account
- Change the password to your preferred password by tapping forget password button
In case your ID serial number or KRA PIN is not found by the system. It means you will not be able to apply for the TIMS account. Here is the possible reasons and the solution to this challenge
NOTE : You will need to have your phone number with you each time you try to log in to TIMS account. This is because a verification code send to your phone will have to be entered into the portal to be able to access your account.
Smart Driving License Application Procedure
- Log in to your TIMS account
- Select Driving License
- Choose Apply Smart Driving license
- Update your profile with the correct details and choose your collection center
- Confirm and submit the details provided
- Select Pay
- Choose your preferred payment method
- Enter the Paybill Number 206206 and Account number generated (Mpesa Payment)
- Print out the Invoice
- Select the appropriate time and you will submit your forms and complete the application. If your preferred time and date is fully booked. Choose a date that is available on the system.
- Print out the booking page that appears next as it will be needed at the NTSA office. In case there is no print option for the page. Highlight, copy and paste on a separate page to print it.
- Submit the form together with the the payment invoice at the NTSA office you chose during application.
Present yourself at the NTSA office with the form and the payment invoice for submission. This should be done inline with the date and time you chose on the system for submission. At the NTSA office your passport photo will be taken to be used on the Digital Driving license.
- How To Recover Your Phone Or Laptop after Liquid Spillage
- How to Upgrade Your Laptop RAM
- Simple Way to Clear Your Name From CRB Listing
- How to Apply For TSC Number in Kenya
- How to apply for HELB Compliance Certificate
- Police Clearance Certificate Application In Kenya
How Long Does It Take To Get a Smart Driving License After Application
Well, it all depends on a number of factors. If your application was successful and there is no issue with the details you submitted,it should take the shortest time possible. But generally you should receive your driving license in less than one month after making application.
Why Should I Change My Old Driving License To Digital One
National Transport and safety is facing away the old driving licenses to the new one. By January 2021 all drivers should have the new Digital license. This means if you are yet to get the new driving license, you should do so early enough to avoid the late rush. All you need to do is to replace your current license with the new one. If your old license has expired you can as well opt to renew it inform of a digital one instead of the old one.
How Important is Smart Driving License.
Perhaps one of the reason why you are yet to acquire the smart driving license is because you have no idea how important it to be in possession of one.
You need to understand that Smart Driving License is a technology ready license that comes with a chip that contains the drivers details such as accident caused, years of driving, vehicle driven among others.
Smart Driving license will be put in use for the following:
- Accumulate points to either reward or punish offenders
- Pass charges directly to your account
- For employers to access and evaluate your records
- Impose fine on offenders direct to your account
- Give access to car ownership detail and number plate
- Provide easy access of your records to insurers