New remuneration formula following the implementation of the teachers collective bargaining agreement (CBA) has seen teachers get a pay rise across all job groups. The new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) was to be implemented in four phases. To date the first, second and third phases have been implemented with the fourth one expected before end of this year. So, how much are teachers paid? In this article we look at the latest salaries for both primary and secondary school teachers in various job groups and categories.
Before we can take a look at the teachers’ salaries, it is important to understand the new Salary scales and grading system used by TSC.
Salaries for teachers in Kenya: Job grades and scales
The current TSC upgrading of teachers led to the scrapping off of some job groups and merging of others. Under the new system of grading tutors, the grade that was previously known as P1, which was under Job Group G, was scrapped off and replaced with Grade B5. This grade was designated as the new entry grade for all teachers at the primary school level.
Other grades include C1, C2,C3, C4,C5,D1, D2, D3 and D4
Here it the remuneration table for teachers after the implementation of the CBA
New Salary scale
- Chief Principal Salary – Ksh. 165, 089 (minimum), and Ksh. 200, 928 (maximum)
- Senior Principal Salary – Ksh. 143,748 (minimum) Ksh. 174,270 (maximum)
- Principal GAT I Salary- Ksh. 129,527 (minimum) Ksh. 155,894 (maximum)
- Principal GAT II Salary- Ksh. 80,190 (minimum) Ksh. 97,290 (maximum)
- Senior GAT Salary – Ksh. 69,590 (minimum) Ksh. 83,840 (maximum)
- GAT I Salary – Ksh. 61,910 (minimum) Ksh. 71,880 (maximum)
- GAT II Salary – Ksh. 46,020 (minimum) Ksh. 56,590 (maximum)
- GAT III Salary- Ksh. 34,662 (minimum) Ksh. 39,918 (maximum)
- ATS IV Salary – Ksh. 28,323 (minimum) Ksh. 33,662 (maximum)
- P1 teacher (B5) Salary – Ksh. 25,692 (minimum) Ksh. 30,304 (maximum)
To better understand which teachers fall under which category or grade; here is a list of grades and teachers and their current earnings.
- Grade B5 (T-Scale 5) – Primary Educator II. Salary (Ksh.21,756- Ksh.27,195)
- Grade C1(T-Scale 6) – Primary Teacher I, Secondary teacher II, and lecturer III. Salary (Ksh.27,195 – Ksh.33,994)
- Grade C2 (T-Scale 7) – Secondary Educator II, Senior Educator II, Lecturer II, and Special Need Education Educator (for primary schools). Salary (Ksh.34,955 – Ksh.Ksh.49,696)
- Grade C3 (T-Scale 8) – Secondary Educator I, Special Need Education Teacher I (for primary schools), Lecturer I, Senior Teacher I, and Special Need Education Educator II (for secondary schools) Salary(Ksh.43,147 – Ksh.53,943)
- GradeC4 (T-Scale 9) – Senior Master IV, Special Need Education Senior Teacher (for primary schools), Senior Lecturer IV, Deputy Head Educator II and Special Need Education Teacher I (for secondary schools) Salary (Ksh.52,308)
- GradeC5 (T-Scale 10) – Senior Master III, Deputy Principal IV, Senior Lecturer III, Deputy Head Teacher, Head Educator, and Curriculum Support Officer II. Salary (Ksh.62,272)
- Grade D1(T-Scale 11) – Deputy Principal III, Senior Master II, Senior Lecturer II, Curriculum Support Officer I, and Senior Head Educator. Salary (Ksh.77,840)
- Grade D2 (T-Scale 12) – Senior Master I and Deputy Principal II. Salary Ksh.91,040
- Grade D3 (T-Scale 13) – Deputy Principal I and Principals Grade. Salary. (Ksh.104,644)
- D4 (T-Scale 14) – Senior Principals Grade D5 (T-Scale 15) – Chief Principals. Salary (ksh.118,242 – Ksh.121,890)
Promotions are guided by the provisions of the three existing schemes of service namely;
- The Scheme of Service for Non-Graduate Teachers
- The Scheme of Service for Graduate Teachers
- The Scheme of Service for Technical Teachers and Lecturers