Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) supplies electricity power to all Kenyans through their metered gadgets that can allow both prepaid and postpaid customers to pay for the electricity bills from through their Pay Bill Numbers. The KPLC prepaid Paybill number is 888880 while the postpaid paybill number is 88888. There are various methods one can use to buy electricity tokens.
With your smartphone, you can easily pay for electricity bills at the comfort of your house. Traditionally one was required to visit the nearest KPLC office to be able to pay the electricity bills. That is no longer necessary thanks to the digitization of KPLC power payment system. However the traditional method is still available to date.
How to Buy Kenya Power (KPLC) Prepaid Tokens via M-PESA Paybill Number 888880.
- Go to Safaricom SIM Tool Kit
- Select M-PESA
- Select “Lipa na M-PESA”
- Select “Pay Bill“
- Select “Enter Business no.“, Enter KPLC’s Lipa na M-PESA PayBill Number 888880 and press “OK”
- Select “Enter Account no.“, Enter your KPLC Prepaid Meter Number (e.g. 1234567810) press “OK”
- “Enter Amount“, between KSh100 and 35,000 and press “OK”
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and press “OK”
- Confirm all the details are correct and press “OK”
You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-Pesa confirming your payment. KPLC will also send you a generated prepaid token message for your meter number. Use the token to load your Meter.
For those using equity SIM Cards, KPLC also allows you to pay for your prepaid electricity tokens using the equitel payment. Here is the process you can use to buy KPLC tokens via Equitel.
How to Buy Kenya Power (KPLC) Prepaid Tokens via Equitel
1. Select Eazzy Pay from your Equitel menu
2. Select Pay Bill from Eazzy Pay.
Choose the bank account number to pay from e.g.04458008649102
Select business number – KPLC Tokens
3. Enter your KPLC Prepaid Meter Number (e.g. 37168927674) press OK
4. Enter the amount you wish to pay which should be between Shs. 100 and Shs.500,000.
5. Enter your Equitel PIN and press OK
6. Confirm that all details are correct by pressing OK
7. You will receive a text confirmation of the transaction from Equity bank.
KPLC will then generate prepaid token valid for your meter and send via SMS.1
To pay postpaid electricity bill using MPesa:
- Select “Pay Bill” from the M-Pesa menu.
2. Enter the Kenya Power business number 888 888.
3. Enter your new Kenya Power account number e.g. 123456.
4. Enter the amount you wish to pay which should be between Shs. 100 and Shs.35,000.
5. Enter your M-Pesa PIN.
6. Confirm that all details are correct.
7. You will receive a confirmation of the transaction via SMS
You can also use the Kenya Power Short USSD Code *977# to report power outage,buy tokens, pay bill, read meter among other services.
That’s it. By following these simple steps, you will be able to pay your power bills.