The Teachers Service Commission -TSC has ordered for a fresh count before the implementation of the new teachers’ pay raise that is set to begin from July 2020. The pay raise is the final one as per the 2017-2021 collective bargaining agreement (CBA).
According to a letter by the TSC CEO Nancy Macharia, all the head teachers, their deputies and senior teachers must undergo a mandatory head count before the pay raise is implemented.
This comes in wake of claims that wrong and misleading information was presented to the commission by the County Education Directors.
In a circular dated June 3, Ms Macharia said before the implementation of the current CBA on July 1, 2020, county directors were instructed to validate the data for institutional administrators who were on duty as at June 30, 2017.
“It has been established that some of you provided inaccurate and misleading data leading to erroneous conversion. Classroom teachers were converted to grades exclusively reserved for institutional administrators, teachers serving as deputy or senior teachers were wrongly captured as head teachers while in other instances, staffing levels in terms of required administrators in a school exceeded the optimum establishment contrary to the established norms,” the circular by Ms. Macharia read.
She also noted that the database for institutional administrators at the head office was found to be inaccurate and unreliable, a finding that affected the operation of the TSC’s payroll management, selection, appointment, and deployment of new administrators. For this she called for the critical analysis of the data and affirmation of the correct information for all institutional administrators serving in the respective counties per school and college.
The expected Salaries of Teachers as of July 2020 are as follows;
New Salary scale
- Chief Principal – Ksh. 165, 089 (minimum), and Ksh. 200, 928 (maximum)
- Senior Principal – Ksh. 143,748 (minimum) Ksh. 174,270 (maximum)
- Principal GAT I – Ksh. 129,527 (minimum) Ksh. 155,894 (maximum)
- Principal GAT II – Ksh. 80,190 (minimum) Ksh. 97,290 (maximum)
- Senior GAT – Ksh. 69,590 (minimum) Ksh. 83,840 (maximum)
- GAT I – Ksh. 61,910 (minimum) Ksh. 71,880 (maximum)
- GAT II – Ksh. 46,020 (minimum) Ksh. 56,590 (maximum)
- GAT III – Ksh. 34,662 (minimum) Ksh. 39,918 (maximum)
- ATS IV – Ksh. 28,323 (minimum) Ksh. 33,662 (maximum)
- P1 – Ksh. 25,692 (minimum) Ksh. 30,304 (maximum)