Losing your birth certificate can hinder you from accessing vital services in Kenya. But it is good to know that you can apply for replacement of your lost birth certificate and get a new one.
Birth certificate is an important document required during Passport application, Visa application and sometimes it may be required to during National ID application processing for individuals who have attained the legal age of 18 years.
Your child cannot as well sit for national exams in Kenya if they do not have the birth certificate. If they had one and it got lost, you will be required to apply for another birth certificate before they can be registered.
In this article, we take a look at the process of applying for a birth certificate and all the required documents you will need to have.
Earlier in my previous article, I had written on Birth Certificate Application In Kenya: Online and Manual Application
Documents required when applying for replacement of birth certificate in Kenya
- Birth notification/A baptismal card
- School leaving certificate or certificate
- National Identity Card for adults
- Copy of the lost certificate if you have one
- Original ID card/Passport/Birth Certificate of both parents. Or a copy of death certificate in case one parent is dead
- If you are missing both your parent’s ID, you can visit the National Registration Bureau for printout
How to apply for replacement of a lost Birth certificate in Kenya
There are two methods one can use to apply for replacement of a lost birth certificate in Kenya. One can apply through the manual process or through online.
Lost Birth Certificate application process in Kenya – Manual application Process
- The manual process involves presenting yourself physically at the office of Registration of Births and Deaths in your county. You can also do the same at the nearest Huduma Centre office.
- You will be required to present a copy of your birth notification or a copy your birth certificate to the registrar.
- The birth notification slip will be used to validate your birth details
- You will be issued with form B1. Fill the form appropriately
- Once done, submit it to the civil registration officer together with copies of documents named above
- You will be charged a processing fee of between Ksh.50 to 180
- You will be notified on when your birth certificate will be ready for collection
For non-Nairobi residents, the application can be done in your county or y visiting Hass Plaza, 4th floor at lower Hill Road.
Lost Birth Certificate online Replacement application Process
- To apply for replacement of your birth certificate online, visit eCitizen government portal
- Log in if you already have an account, if you do not have one just create one by following the simple steps.
- Once logged in, locate and click on Civil Registration Department
- Click on Make Application
- Select Birth Certificate
- Select whether it’s your birth certificate you are applying for or your child’s
- Fill in the required details
- Select your preferred payment method
- Pay Ksh. 180 which can easily be paid through Lipa na Mpesa method
- Confirm your payment
- Submit your application
- Download the application invoice.
- Take your invoice together with the above mentioned required documents to the Civil Registration Department for processing of your birth certificate.
It is important to note that you should include the required documents we mentioned earlier in your submission to the registrar of persons.
For Nairobi residents, you can submit your documents together with the invoice to ACK Bishop House at Bishop’s road off Ngong Road, Nairobi.