Citizenship is the status of a person recognized under the custom or law as being a legal member of a sovereign state or belonging to a nation. In this article I will take you through the process of how to apply for Kenyan Dual Citizenship.
The Constitution of Kenya gives prominence to the Sovereignty of the people, the Republic and the Territory of Kenya and issues of Citizenship. In Kenya, a person can become a citizen by; birth or registration. For one to qualify for a Kenyan Passport one must be a Kenyan citizen by either of the above mentioned methods.
Kenya also allows for application of dual citizenship for non-Kenyans
Declaration made by a dual Citizen
The Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, states that: every dual citizen shall disclose his/her other citizenship in the prescribed manner within three months of becoming a dual citizen. A dual citizen who fails to disclose the dual citizenship in the prescribed manner commits an offense and shall be liable, on conviction, to a fine not exceeding five million shillings or imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years or both.
One must meet the following for dual Citizenship declaration
Requirements for Dual Citizenship Declaration
- A printed online application form 3 (print the form after completing your application)
- 2 passport size photographs
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of Kenyan passport
- Copy of Kenyan identity card
- Copy of the other country’s passport
- Copy of the other country’s Citizenship certificate
- Copy of the Police Clearance Certificate
- Copy of checklist that can be downloaded through the immigration website
With all these, you need to go ahead and apply for dual citizenship declaration
How to apply for dual Citizenship declaration
For one to be able to apply fr dual citizenship declaration in Kenya, the following steps
- Create account within the Government of Kenya immigration department
- Log in using the account details you have created above to access eFNS portal
- Once logged in the eFNS portal, select the ‘Apply now’ link
- Give the required details.
- Click on the ‘Submit Applications’ tab and select the ‘Dual Citizenship’ tab. If you are already logged in to eFNS, you can click here to make an application
- You shall receive automatic notifications via email and on your online account about the progress of your application.