Choosing the best internet service provider in Kenya can be one of the most taunting task especially if you have no background history with the ISP in the country.With Safaricom, Faiba, Airtel, and Zuku being some of the common and well known Internet Service Providers in the country, making the right choice calls for one to make a wise choice.
Making the wrong decision and landing with may lead you to regrets with constant internet outage and poor quality services, not forgetting that customer care relationship is another important factor to look for in an Internet Service Provider.
I have had experience with Safaricom internet for such a long time, currently am using Faiba internet and i will share my experience with the two. I have also interacted closely with users who have subscribed to Zuku as well and I will share there feedback. I will also give a comparison between the major ISP in Kenya and what you should know of each.
What to look for when choosing an Internet service provider in Kenya
When choosing an internet service provider (ISP) in Kenya, there are several factors that you should consider:
- Network coverage: Make sure that the ISP provides coverage in the area where you will be using the internet. Some ISPs have better coverage in certain regions of the country than others.
- Speed: Check the ISPs advertised download and upload speeds, and compare them to your specific needs. For example, if you plan to stream video or work from home, you may need a faster connection than someone who only needs to check email and browse the web.
- Data limits: Some ISPs have data limits on their plans, which means that you can only use a certain amount of data per month before you are charged extra. If you plan to use a lot of data, make sure you choose a plan that has a high data limit or no limit at all.
- Cost: Compare the cost of different ISPs and plans to make sure you are getting the best deal. Keep in mind that in some cases, a higher price may be justified by faster speeds or better coverage.
- Customer support: This is important especially when you have a problem you need to be solved urgently. Make sure to check the quality of customer service provided.
In Kenya, some ISPs that you can consider include:
- Safaricom: They provide home and business broadband services, and they also have good network coverage throughout the country.
- Zuku: This is another provider that offers home and business broadband services, as well as television and telephone services. They have a great reputation in terms of providing good customer service.
- Faiba: They provides home and business broadband services in Nairobi, and it’s well known for their 4G LTE and Fiber Optic services.
- Airtel: Airtel Kenya provides both home and business broadband services, as well as mobile services. They also have a reputation for providing good customer service.
It’s important to note that the best ISP for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. I would recommend to check multiple providers and compare their plans, and also ask for recommendations from friends, family and acquaintances who may have experience with different ISPs.
Safaricom by far provides reliable internet services to Kenyans. It is a major player in the industry has the largest fibre cable network around the country criss-crossing most urban centres in the whole country. I have used Safaricom internet in the past and I can confirm it really served me well, reliable speed, low latency and good customer care service is what they offer.
Safaricom Internet Draw back
While Safaricom internet is reliable, the major drawback on Safaricom internet is the Price. Safaricom internet tends to be more expensive compared to other internet service providers in Kenya like Faiba. The introduction of usage cap is another drawback on Safaricom. Currently Safaricom internet customers are limited to a certain user limit on their package upon which the speed is reduced after hitting the cap limit.
This means if you are a heavy user, then you have to bear with constant low speed each month upon hitting the limit cap.
Currently, Safaricom offers 4 packages on its home internet services namely;
- Bronze at 8MBPS for Ksh. 2,999 per month
- Silver at 20MBPS for Ksh.4100 per month
- Gold at 40MBPS for Ksh.6299 per month
- Diamond at 100MBPS for Ksh.12,499 per month
Faiba internet by Jamii telecommunication is another reliable internet service provider in Kenya. Currently am using the Faiba home internet and am subscribed to the 30 MBPS going for 5250 per month. the internet is reliable with no issues and the speed is good enough despite the factor that I am sharing the internet with other business owners. JTL have a great customer care team that are always ready to attend to your needs.
JTL Faiba Packages
- 30Mbps at Ksh.5250
- 50Mbps at Ksh.10,500
- 75Mbps at Ksh.15,750
- 125Mbps at Ksh.21,000
You may ask why did i switch from Safaricom internet to Jamii? It is hard to pin to a specific reason because the two offer great services. But since I share the internet with a team and mostly heavy users, JTL gives me the freedom to use the internet based on the subscription without any usage cap.
However, if you are an ordinary user, then sticking to Safaricom will still be great.
Zuku is another internet service provider in Kenya. It has a limited number of users compared to Safaricom and Faiba JTL. Their service were great until recently when most of their clients were complaining of poor services. Apparently, most clients in In December and January complaints of going without internet for days and customer care team were nowhere to attend to their pleas.
It’s however expected that they will continue offering great service.
Zuku Internet Packages
- 10 Mbps at Ksh.2,799
- 20Mbps at Ksh. 4,199
- 60Mbps at Ksh.5,999
Kenya power, Access Kenya,Telkom and liquid Telecom are other well known internet service providers in the country.
Apart from the three main players, their are numerous internet service providers in Kenya that serve specific regions in the country.
- Poa net
- Elink networks
- Skynet broadband
- Tabana Wireless
I hope the above insights will help you make the best choice on the internet service provider that will meet your need.