Applying of a driving license in Kenya is done online and one has the option to renew their old driving license or upgrade to the smart driving license.
It will cost you Ksh 3050 to get a digital driving license in Kenya. Kenyans who wish to apply for a driving license can only be issued with a digital driving license as National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) is phasing away the old driving license.
However if you are a holder of the old driving license, you can still renew it on the eCitizen platform at a cost of Ksh 650 for a period of 1 year.
How to get a driving License in Kenya
To get a driving license in Kenya, you first need to go through a driving course from NTSA recognized driving school and pass the driving test lessons before you can apply for a driving license.
How to apply for a digital driving License in Kenya
You can apply for a digital driving license in Kenya by visiting the Kenya Road Safety Authority’s NTSA website. You’ll need to provide your name, email address, and phone number. You will also need to upload a copy of your ID or passport and proof of residence document.
Below is a step by step guide for applying for a digital driving license in Kenya.
- Create an account on NTSA’s TIMS portal. Or simply log in to your account if you already have one.
- Login in and navigate to the Driving License tab on the top navigation bar.
- Tap on the blue SMART DL APPOINTMENT button
- A new tab will be open and you will need to input your ID number, phone number and KRA PIN.
- Then select the NTSA appointment Center of your choice, then the date then the time you wish to reserve for physical presentation.
- Select your driving license class and category and make an Mpesa Payment of Ksh.3050
- After you make your reservation, print the appointment slip and the payment invoice slip.
- On the day of your appointment, go to the NTSA office you selected
- Once there, log in to your TIMS account for verification purposes with the help of an NTSA agent
- You will then take a passport photo alongside your biometric data, signature and blood group
- After this, your smart driving license will be ready for collection within three days
How much does it cost to renews a digital driving license
Renewal of a digital driving license will cost you Ksh. 3050. This is the same cost as the cost of applying for a digital driving license for the first time.
A digital or smart driving license typically expires after three years.