Safaricom has made it possible for Mpesa customers to transfer money through western union via Mpesa.
With your funds in your Mpesa wallet, you can now send money and make payments anywhere in the world using Western Union Mpesa money transfer.
Mpesa to Western Union services are offered through the Mpesa global money transfer platform.
You can send money safely to your loved ones abroad plus to over 500,000 Western Union locations globally through your MPESA account. Simply dial *840# or use mySafaricom App.
How to send money from Mpesa to western Union
- On your Mpesa Phone, dial *840#
- Enter your location
- Accept terms and conditions if you are using Mpesa global for the first time
- Enter your Mpesa PIN to proceed
- You will receive a notification for your enrollment into Mpesa global
- Dial *840# again
- Select Western Union Location
- Choose New Recipient
- Enter their First, Last and Middle Names
- Enter the Amount you want to send
- Next, choose a destination
- Type in the two-letter Country ISO – Select Other for User
- State purpose of funds
- Enter source of funds
- Confirm transaction details and charges and enter M-PESA PIN
Alternatively, you can transfer money from you Mpesa wallet to Western Union using My Safaricom app. This is a convenient way to send money to your Western union account using Mpesa.
Send money safely to your loved ones in China plus to over 500,000 Western Union locations globally through your MPESA account. Simply dial *840# or use mySafaricom App. #MPESAGlobal #TwendeTukiuke pic.twitter.com/Afd7lQ3SiV
— Safaricom PLC (@SafaricomPLC) December 28, 2020
For you to be able to send money to any country through western Union via Mpesa, all you need need to have is the destination countries ISO prefix.
This are letters representing the particular country you wish to send the money to; examples include “KE” for Kenya, “UG” for Uganda, “TZ” for Tanzania and “ZA” for South Africa, which you can find online.
Cost of sending money from Mpesa to Western Union
Just like other money transfer charges, Mpesa imposes a small fee on transactions on Mpesa to Western Union mobile money transfer.