It is easy to make a call in Kenya while you are abroad. You will have to dial the international access code for Kenya, which is 254, followed by the number that you want to call. The international access code for your country may be different, so it’s important to check with your carrier before trying to make an international call.
If you are in any country and you wish to make a direct phone call to Kenya, the following steps will be useful for completing and placing your phone call.
How to Make A Call In Kenya While Abroad
-Use the correct exit code
This code is between two and five digits, and will vary depending on where you are calling from. Exit codes are not unique to individual countries.
- If you are calling from the United States, the exit code is 011.
- If you are calling from Australia, the exit code is 0011.
- If you are calling from most places in western Europe or Africa, the exit code is 00.
- For other countries’ exit codes, search the internet or ask your phone carrier.
-Dial Kenya’s country code (254) on your phone
-Enter the number you intent to call immediately after 254 and remember to omit 0 if the number begins with 07 eg 254714795721
Enter the 2-digit area code. Kenyan phone numbers are preceded by a 2-digit area code. Below are the area codes for some of the most prominent regions of the country
- Nairobi: 20
- Mombasa: 41
- Nakuru: 51
- Kisumu: 57
- Eldoret: 53
Dial the 5-to-7-digit phone number. Make sure you know the number of the person you’re calling, and enter their number after you have entered all of the preceding codes.
There are also alternative ways you can call directly in Kenya while abroad
How to call Kenya Using WhatsApp
To call someone on WhatsApp, first you need to add that person as a contact. If you already know the number of the person you want to call, you can add them by typing in their phone number and then clicking “call.”
1. Open WhatsApp
2. Tap on the Phone icon in the top right-hand corner
3. In the Call window that appears, tap on the number you want to call
4. The person you have selected will receive a notification that you have called them with WhatsApp
You can also video call online in other two ways:
1. You can use a webcam on your computer or mobile device, and then connect to the internet via Wi-Fi or a data plan. This kind of connection is called a peer-to-peer connection, and it requires that you have an account with the site you are using.
2. You can use an app to video call with someone who has an account with the same site as you. The app will automatically send your video to their computer or mobile device, so they will receive it almost immediately after you begin recording.