Salaries for Doctors in Kenya in 2021
Hospitals usually employ different categories of doctors with the most common being general doctors, consultants, and trainees. Each of these categories earns different salaries.
On average a doctor in Kenya earns between between Kshs 28,000 to Ksh. 400,000. The doctor’s salary in Kenya depends on a variety of factors including the field of practiced, the level of education, and the experience gained in the field.
Being a medical professional is one of the most desired and valued professions in Kenya and around the world.
This is because the field is associated with good remuneration and it is a noble profession.
Job Description, Qualification and Salary of Doctors in Kenya
A qualified Nurse is one who has graduated from nursing school and licensed to practice nursing career in the country. A nurse can train in a medical school either private or public. This can either be a college or university.
- Conduct general body examination
- Provide counseling on certain related health issues
- Prescribe medication
The salary of a nurse depends on a number of factors among them Level of education, experience and years in the field.
The average salary for nurses in Kenya is Ksh. 41,000
These are healthcare professionals who practice in Pharmacy
- Prepare and package prescribed medicine.
- Sell medicine over the counter.
- Guide patients in understanding of the biochemical mechanisms of drugs, drug uses, therapeutic roles, side effects, potential drug interactions, and monitoring parameters.
For one to be a Pharmacist in Kenya one must have trained and obtained relevant certificates from a recognized learning institution. One must also have acquired a practicing license from from the Kenya Medical and poisons board.
On average Pharmacist in Kenya earn between Ksh. 40,000 to Ksh 70,000 per month
A medical officer is in charge of a hospital, he investigates medical problems, provides medical support, singles out anomalies in medical reports and serves as an advisor on disease control and other health issues. They are also in charge of making referrals of patients to specialists.
For an individual becomes a medical officer ,one must:
- Have a Bachelors Degree in Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) degree from a recognized institution.
- Have a medical license from the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board.
- Have served as an intern doctor at a public or private hospital for one year.
- Chosen to serve as a general or medical practitioner. They also have the option of proceeding to specialize in other disciplines like surgery or internal medicine.
Medical officers in Kenya earn a monthly salary of between Ksh. 140,000 to 400,000 depending on the level of education, area of specialization and experience.
Medical Laboratory Scientists
They are also referred to as Medical Laboratorians, They aid in carrying out laboratory tests and analysis that assist physicians in patient diagnosis and treatment. They are also involved in monitoring and preventing diseases.
Their field of work entails;
- Analyzing blood, Urine, Tissues and other specimens
- Diagnosing patients
- Treating diseases
They are highly on demand due to their nature of work
For one to become a medical laboratory scientist, one must have obtained relevant certificates from a recognized institution. They also must have a practicing license from the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist board.
Medical laboratory Scientists in Kenya earn about Ksh. 34,000
A specialist doctor is a physician who specializes in a particular area of the medical field.
For one to be a Specialist Doctor one must have completed advanced training in a specific area within the medical field and have obtained the relevant degree or Masters in the area of specialization.
One must also have obtained a medical license from the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board. One must also have at least three years of training in a hospital environment.
Read Also:13 Best Electronic Shops in Nairobi
Below is a list of specializations in the field of specialist Doctors.
Psychiatrists– They diagnose, treat and prevent behavioral, emotional and mental disorders.
Surgeons- They perform surgical operations and provide patients with both pre and post-surgical treatment and care.
Radiologists– They diagnose and treat injuries and diseases using specialist medical imaging techniques.
Oncologists– They provide medical care for patients diagnosed with cancer.
Gynecologists– They specializes in diseases, injuries and illnesses of female reproductive systems.
They are also responsible for recording medical data and information of patients, referring them or admitting patients in hospitals.
The salary of specialist doctors is between Ksh. 400,000 to 700,000 per month. The salary is highly dependent on years of experience in the field.
Other notable professionals in the medical field include:
- Intern Doctors- ( Average Salary- Ksh. 30,000 per month)
- Attending Physicians ( Average Salary- Ksh. 500,000 per month)
- Ophthalmologists, Opticians and Optometrists. (Average Salary- Ksh 90,000 per month)
- Pediatrician.(Average Salary- Ksh 365,698 per month)
- Orthopedic Surgeons. (Average Salary- Ksh 219,000 per month)
- (Average Salary- Ksh 28,697 per month)
Apart from the basic salary Doctors in Kenya are entitled to various allowances.Below is the current average allowances for a doctor in Kenya.
- Rental House Allowance (Ksh. 18,000)
- Commuter Allowance (Ksh. 8,000)
- Health Risk Allowance (Ksh. 20,000)
- Emergency Call Allowance (Ksh. 72,000)
- Leave travel Allowance (Ksh. 6,000)
Salaries of Journalists in Kenya
New Salary Scale For Teachers After TSC Promotion
How Much Are ECDE Teachers paid In Kenya | ECDE Teachers Salaries
Police Officers Salaries in Kenya
Engineers salaries in Kenya | All Engineers
How Much Do Kenya Power Workers Earn?
List Of Companies That offers Paid Internship Opportunities In Kenya
How Much Are Kenya Defense Force(KDF) Officers Paid? Army, Navy and Air Force Soldiers
Struggling to sell!!!? People are selling and buying items in your area. Sell anything on the largest online marketplace in Kenya. Visit Sokoplus.co.ke