Higher Education Loans Board has waived the Sh.1000 fee for non-beneficiaries that is usually charged when applying for the HELB Compliance certificate. This now means that both HELB loan beneficiaries and non-beneficiaries can now apply for the HELB compliance certificate and get if free of charge.
“HELB has been issuing compliance certificates to non-beneficiaries of student loans at a fee of Kshs. 1,000 to defray the cost of the certificate and other administrative expenses.
“However, during various stakeholder engagements where HELB seeks feedback on Citizen Service Delivery, it has repeatedly come to our attention that the charges for non-loanee compliance certificate are perceived to be punitive, especially to the many unemployed youth who did not benefit from the student loans,” A statement from HELB read.
Some of the stakeholders raised issues such as unemployment and under-employment challenges, low economic growth and escalated cost of living as well as retrenchment and downsizing affecting all sectors which have been exacerbated by the Covid-19 Pandemic.
The statement also indicated that the waiver was expected to motivate Kenyan youth to seek their HELB compliance certificates as they seek jobs or opportunities to contribute towards building the nation.
“The HELB Compliance Certificates will now be free of charge and can be accessed from the HELB Website as well as the E-Citizen Portal,” continued the statement.
How To Apply For Helb Compliance Certificate
- Login to www.helb.co.ke
- Click on Apply for Compliance Certificate
- Click on Account Login if you already have an account otherwise proceed to the next step
- Click on User registration
- Select Applicant registration
- Provide your Email and ID details to begin the process
- You will be prompted to confirm your email address by clicking on the link mailed to your inbox
- Log in with your email and the password to complete the registration process
- Update your profile by providing personal and residential details then save the information
- Once your details are up to date, go to Online Services
- Compliance Certificate
- Provide your phone number to receive a special code before proceeding
- You will receive a direct link to download your certificate
- Download and print your certificate
If you are unsure on the application process, it is advisable seek for assistance.