The Tax Compliance Certificate also known as KRA Clearance Certificate is a document issued by KRA to show your tax compliance as provided by the law. Any Kenya resident who earns revenue is mandated to pay remit taxes to KRA which is the tax collecting body in Kenya. Today we take a look at KRA Tax Compliance Certificate Application Process.
For one to be able to pay taxes as an individual or a company, one must have acquired a KRA PIN. Currently one can easily file their tax returns online. Filing of your taxes regularly makes it easier to for you to apply for a Tax Compliance Certificate.
In the past, one had to visit Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) offices, get the tax forms, fill them and return manually to KRA offices to be able to get the KRA tax compliance certificate. Luckily, things have changed and one can easily file their tax returns online and also apply for the certificate.
For you to be able to apply for KRA Tax Compliance Certificate, one must have an active itax account. This can be done by migrating your KRA PIN to the itax system. The Integrated Tax Management system ITMS) is the simplest way through which individuals can apply for a KRA Certificate of Compliance. If you do not have aKRA PIN, See KRA PIN Application Process Step By Step
Cost For KRA Compliance Certificate Application
The KRA Compliance certificate is free. You only need to be in good standing with KRA to be able to get the certificate. This means you must be filing your annual returns without failure. If your Tax report is up to date, you can easily apply for the tax compliance certificate online and get it to your email.
Tax Compliance Certificate Application Process
- Go to the KRA iTax Portal and enter your KRA PIN to proceed.
- Next, enter your Login ID (KRA PIN) and password then just below answer the security question and click the login button.
- Update your professional details as they are to date. Also indicate your employment status when asked.
- Once you’re logged in into your iTax dashboard, go to the menu and select Certificates. In the certificates sub-menu, select Apply for Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC).
- In the next page, you’ll be required to provide a reason for making the application. If it is for official use, indicate as so. But if it is for your own records, indicate as personal. Once you’re done writing the reason, click the Submit button.
- You should now get a message alerting you that your Application for the Tax Compliance Certificate has been submitted successfully.
You’ll be provided with an acknowledgment number with which you can track your application and a link to download the acknowledgment receipt in PDF form.
You will also get an email from KRA acknowledging this application. Print or save your acknowledgement receipt for reference.
- Now your application will be through. All you need to do is to wait for a few days as your application is reviewed. Once complete, the certificate will be sent the email address you registered your KRA PIN with for you to download.
How Long Does It Take Before the Certificate is Ready?
Usually if your itax information was up to date, your certificate will be sent to your Email within the same day. But usually it can take up to a week before your application is reviewed and your certificate is send to your Email.
Once your certificate is send to your Email download and print it
How Important if KRA Tax Compliance Certificate
Tax Compliance Certificate is one of the most important documents that you will need when applying for a Job in Kenya, Applying for Tenders in Kenya and any other form of business transaction that will require Tax Compliance Certificate.
Many job applications in Kenya require a person to fulfill the requirements of Chapter (6) six of the Constitution of Kenya by having the following documents:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI)
- Clearance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance from the Ethics & Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Should you encounter any problem associated with KRA PIN application, we have reviewed how to solve such challenges.
Also Read:Guide to Filing KRA ITAX Returns