You can now know the owner of the land you wish to purchase by carrying out an online land search at the press of a button. This has been necessitated by the digitization of the land search services by the Ministry of Lands through the eCitizen platform. In This article I will take you through the online land search process.
In early days one had to travel to land registrar offices and wait on the long queues before you could be served. Fraudsters had taken advantage of this manual process to steal from unsuspecting land buyers. Today, you can avoid such scenarios as you can easily perform a land search to ascertain the land is in your name or is in the right name of the person you are buying from.
Requirements To Perform a land Search
Before you can go ahead and perform a land search, you need to have all the requirements for the process. Below are some of the things you should have to be able to initiate the process.
- An Active eCitizen Account
- Your KRA PIN
- Land title Deed Number
- 500 land Search fee
It is much important to carry out land search using your own eCitizen platform. This will be of great help when you are registering the land in your name. If you do not have the eCitizen account, you will be required to register for one. It is free to register.
Also Read: How to Check New Title Deed Number in Kenya
To perform the online land search follow the below process
Online Land Search Process
- Log into ecitizen. If you have already signed up, select sign in. If not yet click on create an account.
- Select the Ministry of Land, and physical planning option. You will be required to set up your KRA pin if you had not added it during creating your ecitizen
- Select the land search option
- Input the land title number and complete the subsequent form then submit.
- Select your preferred payment method eg, MPesa, Credit card or even a debit card. You will be required to pay Ksh. 500 land search service fee.
- Once your payment is confirmed to be successful, an Invoice for the payment made and the print out for your search results will be available for download
- Download and print your land search results.
- A copy of the same will be retained on your eCitizen account for future reference.
By following this process you will have successfully search for the ownership of the piece of land. The search result will indicate full details of the land ownership including, the name of the land owner, his or her ID number, the land title number, the size of the land parcel among other details.
You can also register your land using a short code SMS services.
How to Register your land Using USSD Code
- Send an SMS starting with the word land to 21504.
- After subscribing to this service dial *512#. You will receive a prompt asking you if you would like to proceed with the registration
- Select proceed and another prompt appears with various options, select register land
- Input your title number, ID number, Land rent amount as indicated in the certificate as well as your full names.
- Viola! You will be done with registration.