What is P9 form, where can I get it and how can I use it to file my return? Well, these are some of the questions people ask when it comes to filing itax returns with KRA.
The tax deduction Card also known as P9 form is issued by employers to employees. This important form shows your earnings, benefits, allowances and deductions for a period of the past one year. This information is key as it will help you fill the KRA online portal when disclosing your tax report.
Usually your employer should issue employees with P9 form for their salary history of the past one year. This will help you fill your KRA information on the itax portal between the first date of January to the lat date of June each year. Without this P9 form it is impossible to file your tax report.
Each Kenyan is supposed to file their tax returns for the previous year between January and 30th June of each year. Failure to do so attracts a penalty of Sh. 2,000 for late filing and a penalty of Ksh. 20,000 for total failure of filing your returns for the whole year.
Most employees can access their P9 forms on the employers online platform, while others issues them manually. For teachers the P9 form is available on the TSC online website while employees in human resource sectors can download their P9 forms from Government Human Resource Information System (GHRIS) website. You will need your working ID and password to log in before you can download your P9 form.
How to file P9 itax returns
- Get your P9 form from your employer or download it online
- Log in to itax.kra.go.ke. You will need your KRA PIN and Password to log in
- Go to Returns Menu and select ‘FILE RETURNS’ ITR For Employment Income Only
- Select the tax obligation (Income Tax-Resident Individual) and click ‘Next’
- Click to download the Income Tax Return form using the provided link
- Enter your PIN, Type of return, return period ‘From’ and return period ‘To’ (The 1st date of January Last year to the last date of December Last year)
- On sheet F, enter your Employer PIN, Name of employer, Gross Pay, Allowances and benefits from employment as per the p9 form.
- On sheet M, select pin of the employer from the dropdown menu, enter name of the employer, taxable salary, tax payable on taxable salary (chargeable pay) and amount of tax deducted as per the P9 form
- On sheet T ‘Tax Computation’ and the figure as is on your P9 form. Enter your personal relief (where applicable)
- Once you have confirmed the details you have entered match what is on the P9 form, validate and generate the upload file
- Enter the return period if filing for the first time
- Upload the form by choosing the zip file, agree to the terms and submit
- Download and print the receipt that will be generated for future reference
Note: If your payment method is M-Pesa Choose your payment method as mobile Money with your bank name as M-Pesa and Account as your Safaricom Phone Number.
How to file Nil Return
To file Nil returns;
- Log into KRA itax portal with your PIN and Password
- Got to Returns Menu
- Select ‘File Nil returns’
- Select the type of tax and tax obligation
- Select the tax period
- Confirm and submit
- An acknowledgement receipt will be available for download.
- How to Join SKIZA as an Artist
- Driving License Application Both old and New
- How 52 weeks saving challenge works
- How To Update Your CRB Status After Making Loan Repayment