Kenya power and lighting company (KPLC) is a Kenyan utility company tasked with transmission and distribution of electricity across the country. Kenyans who want to have their homes or businesses connected to the national grid have to apply for electricity connection from Kenya power.
In the past, getting electricity connection from Kenya power had a fair share of challenges. Only a few Kenyans had the privilege of having electricity from Kenya power connected to their homes.
Nowadays, getting your house connected to electricity from Kenya power is as easy as 123, thanks to new technology. With just a few mouse clicks, you can download the necessary forms required for electricity connection from the internet or you can just apply online.
There are two ways in which you can apply for electricity connection from Kenya Power. You can apply manually or online through their website.
Kenya Power Electricity Connection Manual application Process
- Visit your nearest KPLC offices or the KPLC desk in Huduma centre where you will be provided with an application form to fill. You can alternatively download this form from the KPLC website (www.kplc.co.ke) and fill it at your convenient time.
- In the form, you are required to fill in your details such as national ID/Passport number, county of residence, postal code and telephone number among others.
- Correctly fill in all the required fields in the application form.
- Next, you will be given a contract form to fill, which can also be downloaded from the Kenya power website. This is the form which acts as an agreement between you and KPLC. Fill every necessary field on this form and sign it.
The following documents are required during application:
- Copy of either ID card or passport (for non-residents)
- Copy of KRA pin
iii. Supply contract form
- Wiring certificate
- A sketch of the route to the building where electricity supply is required
- Copy of KRA pin certificate
- Copy of registration certificate
iii. Wiring certificates
- Written consent from the property owner
- A scaled site plan in case of a big building
- Route sketch to where power supply is to be installed
b) Site visit
In about one week after application, Kenya power personnel will make a visit to the site where electricity connection is required. This is to estimate connection costs and to check for compliance and whether the building meets the required standards. You will then be briefed on the estimated cost that you will have to pay.
c) Electricity connection
After paying the quoted amount in full, you will have your electricity meter installed. This is the last step where you will finally get connected to electricity from Kenya power in within 75 days after payment date.
Kenya Power Electricity Connection Online application Process
Unlike the manual application process, online method does not require you to move around a lot.
– Computer and internet connection
– Contact information such as phone number, email address, location, physical address among others
The following documents are also required in soft copy format:
– National identity card (ID)
– Wiring certificate
– Ownership documents
- a) Visit www.selfservice.kplc.co.ke on your computer
- b) Click on “New supply application” and follow a link labelled “Apply online”
- c) You will be directed to an online application form
- d) You will find different fields marked names, ID number, date of birth, gender, telephone number, email, postal address and postal code. You will have to fill in all the required details accurately
- e) Upload all the documents in soft copy format as stated above
- f) After double checking your inputs, click on the button labelled “send” to submit your application to KPLC for review
- g) After approval of your application, KPLC will send over their personnel to your location.
- h) From there, the process to complete electricity connection from Kenya power is similar to step “b” of the manual application process above.