Being a first time helb loan applicant can be a challenge for many. Higher Education Loans Board disperses loans to both first time applicants and subsequent applications for continuing students in both universities and colleges. Here I will take you through step by step procedures and requirements applicants should have and follow to successfully apply for Helb loan.
Table of Content
What is helb?
Who qualifies for Helb Application?
Requirements for Helb Application
Step by step Helb loan Application Process
What is Helb?
Higher education Loans Board is a government regulated body that offers loan to students both in colleges and universities. Helb also partners with other organizations and partners to achieve this.
Who qualifies for the loan?
Any student who is in need can apply for the loan. The loan is offered to undergraduate students in Universities, post graduate students and students in Technical, Vocational and Education Training institutions
Requirements for Helb Application
The application for HELB loan is done online. However one must meet the minimum requirements and have the necessary documents before filling the online form. Here are the requirements for HELB loan Applicants.
- National ID card
- Bank Account
- A KRA PIN
- Parents Details (Photocopy of their Identification Cards)
- Parents death certificate (where applicable)
- KCSE AND KCPE RESULTS
- Email address
- Details of two guarantors including their ID Copies
- Three coloured Passport photos
HELB loan Application Procedure
- Visit the official HELB portal
- Click on the Tab Indicated create account to create your HELB account
- Update your account details correctly
- If you are applying for the first time. Select First Time Undergraduate Loan Application
- Start filling your form accurately. Don’t skip any step (You will be expected to fill personal details, education, university, parents, family expenses, guarantors, and Bank details). So make sure you have them.
- After you have completed filling your form, confirm your details before submitting
- Submit and to print your HELB Form.
- Print two copies of the forms
- Let all the necessary parts be signed by the respective persons on the two copies
- Submit one filled form to the nearest Huduma Centre or the HELD offices in your area.
- Keep the remaining form for your records.
How to check your application status?
- Access the HELB website and enter your ID number
2. Send an email to requesting for your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Call HELB on 0722052000
4. Email email@example.com
How Much can I get from Helb?
In accordance with the HELB Cost Sharing Policy, a student is required to pay Kshs.50,000/- per year to train at a public university. Out of this amount, HELB can award a maximum loan and bursary of Kshs.50,000/- and a bursary of Kshs.8,000. However it is not a guarantee that you will be awarded the loan
Now that you have successfully applied for your Helb Loan When should you expect the loan.
When are Loan Awards released?
HELB releases loan results before the new academic year starts. Thereafter, students who fail to secure a loan or are awarded inadequate amounts are encouraged to appeal. Each appeal is reviewed on its own merit. If one fails to get a loan, the following could be possible reasons:
a) The student may not have provided adequate information about him/herself as requested
b) The student may have provided false information on the loan application form
How can I repay the loan?
Loan repayment is expected be made as soon as possible. However HELB usually gives a grace period for students to complete schooling before they can begin repaying their loans. To repay the HELB Loan, You can use the below options.
- Co-Operative Bank. A/C No. 011-2906 122 2800
- Equity Bank A/C No. 055 029 357 3408
- Absa Bank A/C No. 077 501 8216
- Standard Chartered Bank A/C No. 010 801 826 4700
- Citibank A/C No. 300 040012
- KCB Bank A/C No. 1103266 314
- National Bank A/C No. 0100016 139 1100
Helb Loan Repayment Via M-Pesa
- Go to M-Pesa
- Select Lipa Na M-Pesa
- PayBill No. 200800
- Account No. Your ID Number
- Enter Amount
- Confirm Details
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN